The Queen of Soul, Aretha Franklin dies aged 76. Trouble on the horizon for Spotify. More closures for the night time economy..
1) Aretha Franklin, dies aged 76. Considered by many as “The Queen of Soul”, Aretha Franklin has passed at the age of 76 after a long battle with pancreatic cancer. Tributes have poured in from around the world and all corners of the music industry. You can read an obituary on the Guardian and watch a moving performance below.
2) Locking Up. One of Camden’s most well-respected DJ bars, The Lock Tavern, is to close it’s doors after nearly fourteen years of service. The bar will hold it’s last party on August 27th. More info here.
3) Kristina Records on the move. Kristina Records is set to move home, after seven years in Dalston. In an Instagram post, the shop owners confirmed they will be moving from their Stoke Newington Road location at the end of August, but have not yet confirmed where they will be relocating to. More info here.
4) Canal Mills to close. After six years of service, Canal Mills has announced it will close its doors on New Year’s Day. The reason for the closure has not been confirmed, though the re-development of the Canal Mills estate has been suggested. More info here.
5) Bristol’s Exchange launches savior appeal. Live music venue Exchange has announced it’s intentions to raise £250,000, in an attempt to rescue the venue from closure. A tweet from their social media account announced that in order to attain the figure, they would be selling shares to the general public, paving the way for Exchange to become Bristol’s first community owned music venue. More info here.
6) Spotify prepares for trouble. According to a senior record company source, the Swedish company are preparing to encounter trouble with the three major record companies. As expected, if the streaming service ask for a further improvement to their gross margin structure, a senior record company source has said they would ‘laugh them out of the room’. Read the full story.
7) Sound deals for Soundtoys. Soundtoys are offering a back-to-school sale with a 30% reduction on the Soundtoys 5 Academic bundle. Get your bargain here.
SoundSwitch lighting. Watch the video release.
9) All change for streaming? Based in Holland, Swayli is a start up that believe they will change the streaming industry by implementing new cloud-based software to help emerging artists and playlist curators. You can sign up for the beta and find out for yourself.
You currently have an ad blocker installed
Attack Magazine is funded by advertising revenue. To help support our original content, please consider whitelisting Attack in your ad blocker software.x